Monday, November 5, 2007

Sunday Outing!

The hubby and I went out with his brother to visit some family yesterday, and check out a shopping center that is about 15 minutes away from where we currently live. The entire day was pretty much a delightful experience. We drove to Lahti to visit with Mummu (Grandma) who is 94 years young because she was the in hospital about 2 weeks ago. Apparently that was the first time she had been to the doctor in about 10, or something to that affect. I don't understand a thing this little woman says, but she is funny and enjoyable to be around. She likes to knit everyone wool socks that you can wear around the house, and things like that. We had coffee and cake together, and got to visit with the Aunt that she lives with.



Me and Mummu




After a trip to see Mummu we went to visit the in-laws and Maaria. As soon as we arrived Ă„iti (Mom) pointed out to us that there were Swans in the backyard. Apparently, the Swan is the National bird of Finland. There were about 25 of them there. It looked like they were migrating (which I highly recommend since it is quite cold now). They just hung about in there little groups eating something. I thought that it was just really neat to see them. I've never seen more than one or two Swans at a time, so this was really cool! Later we ventured to the shopping center near us (Prisma) and bought a few things and just looked around. They had quite a little collection of Moomin collectibles that I would like to go back and check out. They also had gloves on sale for 1,90. To top it off these gloves fit my hands! I picked up a pink pair for myself while we were there. It seems I am writing a lot about nothing much. I had an enjoyable weekend, hope everyone else did as well!




I couldn't get any closer, but that is one group
of the Swans!




Tiikeri (Tiger)-He was watching me watch the
Swans and wanted a little attention. So I gave
him some!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love reading posts like this, because in some weird, blogospheric way, I feel like I'm getting to know Finland. Since my 93 year-old Grandma is not well, I feel drawn to learn all about the country that she called home. I have just a few things from Finland, and the knowledge of how to make homemade pulla. I love your posts about everyday life in Finland. Keep on posting your "boring" posts, Miss Stacy! :)