Thursday, June 26, 2008

Now we wait

I had a nice appointment at the employment office again on Monday. It went well. I brought home tons of papers to look over, and a couple of applications to fill out in case I found a class that I wanted to take. The girl I spoke with (I didn't get her name) put me into the computer and I am now "actively" looking for a job. I say "actively" because that is how you are suppose to do it. On the other hand, there are language classes that you take through the employment office (integration program) and I am waiting for those. I will actually be getting an invitation to go be tested on my Finnish Skills before classes begin, that way they will know where to put me. I can go ahead and tell you right now though that I will be at the bottom of the barrel. My Finnish skills are nonexistant. The words and phrases that I do know I can't use in polite company, let me put it that way. I have to check back in with the employment office in 5 months, November 25th to let them know how I am doing. Easy peasy.

In the meantime, I (along with my husband) went to the bank yesterday and set myself up an account. Actually, my husband did all of the talking. The woman at the bank started out trying to speak to me in English, and then ended up switching to Finnish and talking to my husband. All I did was sign the papers. I still got my account and therefore I am happy. I couldn't tell you what happened at the bank though, not a blamed thing. It was a good example of why I need to take Finnish courses! Needless to say, I have had quite a productive week, and I am glad the weekend is almost here!

Cheers!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm constantly amazed by you! You meet a Finnish man, fall in love, marry him and move halfway 'round the world with him to a country where you don't speak the language (except a few phrases not to be uttered in polite company!). You are so brave and I'm a bit jealous of this wonderful experience! :)

FluteLoop said...

Thank you. Although my husband would disagree with you. He thinks that I am brilliant for marrying him, and crazy (hullu) for moving here.

Of course I compare him to training wheels. I don't go anywhere I am not used to without him at least once. :) Luckily most people here speak English so if I do go somewhere without him I don't worry too much!