Friday, October 23, 2009

Turku Castle

Back in August, as you can tell by the date stamp, Kai and I went to visit my BIL and his wife. They bought a small apartment in a city named Turku because Meri (the wife) is going to the University there. It is a lovely city and I am look forward to going to back for another visit. Sami (BIL) took us to see the castle that was built there way back when while we were visiting with them. It is over 700 years old. It isn't as grand as castles you would find in France/Germany/GB, but it is impressive nonetheless. Just the fact that there are castles in Finland impressed me! They never actually had a royal family here, so it was interesting to learn about. According to Kai there are 2 or 3 castles here. This one was actually built on an island. As you can see from the pictures though it is now just another part of the mainland. The water receded a long time ago. I took too many pictures to post here on my blog, and I wouldn't know how to pick and choose between them. So those of you who are friends of mine of Facebook will have a chance to see them all next week because I am going to upload all of them there.




View from the back of the Castle.



View after you come in through the main gate.



View of the main gate/entrance.



The front/Entrance.

No comments: